Adam’s Apple Reduction
The tracheal shave procedure is a cosmetic surgery in which the size of the Adam's Apple is reduced in order to appear more feminine. Commonly known as the Adam's apple reduction, this facial feminization surgery is often preferred by patients who are currently transitioning from male to female. Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg performs the tracheal shave for patients in Atlanta and throughout the state of Georgia as well as nationally and internationally.
Tracheal Shave Fast Facts
- Average Cost: $5,500 - $6,500
- Recovery Time: 2 Weeks
- Type: Outpatient
- Anesthesia: General Anesthesia
- Serving Patients in: Atlanta, Marietta, Alpharetta, Kennesaw, Cumming, Roswell, throughout Georgia and other nearby states.
- Can be combined with other facial feminization surgery
- Does not require a letter from a gender therapist
What is Adam's Apple Surgery?
The tracheal shave Atlanta procedure is a cosmetic surgery in which the size and shape of the thyroid cartilage of the neck is reduced, in order to give the impression of a more feminine neck.
Tracheal Shave Before and After
Benefits of Reducing the Adam's Apple
The Adam's Apple surgery is a procedure that can be very empowering for an individual who is transitioning from male to female. Some of the benefits of investing in this cosmetic surgery procedure include:
- It can drastically improve a person's self-confidence, as it gives you an appearance that suits your identity and allows you to feel and look like natural.
- It provides transgender women with the ability to alter this important feature. Many transgender women feel that it is the second most important feature to change, after breast augmentation.
- It is a versatile procedure that can be customized to meet your needs, and it can be combined with other facial feminization surgeries.
What Does a Tracheal Shave Cost?
The average cost of tracheal shave will vary, based on a variety of factors. In general, many patients find that the tracheal shave cost ranges between $5,500 and $6,500, and most patients have to pay out-of-pocket for this procedure. However, Dr. Lincenberg does offer convenient payment plans that alleviate the financial burden associated with this pivotal cosmetic surgery procedure.
Keep in mind that the cost of your procedure will depend on whether or not you have additional facial feminization procedures performed at the same time. For more information about the cost of tracheal shave, you should schedule a consultation with Dr. Lincenberg to discuss your personal surgical plan.
Choosing a Surgeon For Your Trachea Shave
Choosing the right surgeon for your tracheal shave is incredibly important, as the results of this procedure will have an impact on both your personal and professional life. As you consider different surgeons, you should keep in mind the following:
- You should select a surgeon that is experienced with MTF surgery, particularly facial feminization procedures such as the Adam's Apple removal. For many years, there was one surgeon in Atlanta who performed this surgery, Dr. Silver. Dr. Lincenberg was trained by Dr. Silver and continues the tradition in Atlanta and beyond.
- You should ask to see before and after photo galleries of recent work from the surgeon who you consult with.
- You should ask the surgeon many questions in order to make sure that he/she is the right fit professionally and that he/she will take an empathetic and understanding approach during your surgery.
Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg is a board-certified and Mayo Clinic-trained cosmetic plastic surgeon who has earned a reputation for being the leading trans top surgeon in Atlanta. Not only has he been performing gender affirmation surgeries for 19 years, but he has spent more than 30 years working with all types of patients who are interested in leveraging the power of cosmetic surgery in order to achieve their facial and body goals.
Preparing for Surgery
In the weeks leading up to your tracheal shave, Dr. Lincenberg will provide you with a customized plan to help you prepare for the surgery. Typically, you will not need to stop taking Hormone Replacement Therapy prior to the surgery. You also will need to consult with your medical doctor about any other medication that you are taking, in order to determine if you should continue taking it before surgery. As this surgery is performed under general anesthesia, you will need to fast for several hours before the procedure begins.
About the Procedure
The tracheal shave procedure is a precise operation in which the thyroid cartilage surrounding the laryngeal prominence, or Adam's Apple, is reshaped. This cartilage protects the vocal cords, so the surgeon will use state-of-the-art tools in order to locate the vocal cords and take care not to damage them. The procedure itself takes about an hour to complete.
Adam's Apple Surgery Risks
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks to consider with the tracheal shave. These risks include:
- Pain or difficulty when swallowing.
- Potential impact on the vocal cords.
- Hoarseness after the surgery (RARE).
Recovery After Reducing the Adam's Apple
This is an outpatient procedure, so patients are able to return home to rest and recover on the same day. The total recovery will take anywhere ABOUT 2 weeks, depending on if any other facial feminization surgeries were performed.
FAQs About Tracheal Shave Atlanta
Will there be a visible scar?
A tiny incision in a discrete location under the chin is made to perform the procedure. The scar blends in with a normal neck skin crease.
Does shaving the Adam's apple change your voice?
No, when performed by an experienced surgeon, this procedure will not permanently alter your voice.
Can the Adam's Apple grow back?
When performed correctly by an experienced surgeon, the cartilage will not grow back.
What Our Patients Are Saying
"Having moved to Georgia from Pennsylvania, I wasn’t familiar with trans resources or trusted surgeons to perform a mastectomy in the area. After a bit of research it became clear Dr. Lincenberg’s office was the best choice. Upon calling to schedule a consultation, I was greeted by friendly and charismatic staff. The environment is overwhelmingly comfortable; something that’s crucial to avoid anxiety in this stress-inducing process. Dr. Lincenberg is experienced and personable, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results of my surgery." - Kayden
Related Procedures Offered at the Trans Top Surgery Center:
- Facial Feminization
- Forehead Contouring
- Chin Augmentation or Reduction
- MTF Body Contouring
- MTF Breast Augmentation