Forehead contouring is a cosmetic surgery procedure that is performed in order to soften a person's facial features and create a more feminine appearance. It is a common MTF FFS surgery, and is sometimes referred to as forehead shaving or brow bone reduction.
Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg has many years of experience with forehead contouring surgery. He has earned the reputation as the top FFS surgeon in Atlanta as well as in Marietta, Cumming, Alpharetta and Kennesaw counties, and also those from surrounding states.
Forehead Contouring Fast Facts
- Average Cost: $7000-$13000
- Recovery Time: 2-4 weeks
- Type: Outpatient
- Anesthesia: General Anesthesia
- Serving patients in: Atlanta, Marietta, Cumming, Alpharetta, Kennesaw and throughout surrounding states.
What is Forehead Contouring Surgery?
Forehead contouring surgery is a Facial Feminization Surgery that is preferred by patients who are transitioning from male to female. However it is also selected by cis-women to improve their features. During this procedure, the surgeon will shave the brow bone in order to reduce its size and prominence as well as reshape the orbital bones in the face.
Ultimately, the goal of the forehead contouring procedure is to reduce the size of the brow ridge and to soften the features of the face. The precise techniques that are used during this procedure typically create a more feminine appearance, which is why this is considered one of the top MTF FFS procedures.
The Benefits of Forehead Contouring
Patients who opt for the forehead contouring surgery find that there are many benefits associated with this procedure, including:
- They are able to achieve a smoother, sleeker and more feminine shape for their face.
- They are able to enjoy a permanent change.
- The procedure confirms their gender and allows them to live a more authentic life.
- The results offer them improved confidence, which benefits both their professional and personal lives.
- This procedure can be done to lower a receding hairline and/or arch the eyebrows.
- This FFS procedure can be performed alongside other facial feminization surgeries. The most popular FFS procedures to have done in tandem with the brow bone reduction are the tracheal shave, rhinoplasty or jawline slimming procedures.
Forehead Contouring Price
The forehead shaving procedure is customized to suit your specific needs, and it can be combined with other facial feminization surgeries. As a result, the forehead contouring surgery cost can vary greatly from patient to patient. You can expect your surgery to cost anywhere between $7,000 and $13,000, depending on the type of work that you have performed.
While your health insurance will likely not provide any coverage for this cosmetic surgery procedure, it's important to know that Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg offers convenient payment plans for patients. These payment plans make MTF FFS procedures more affordable and attainable, and can allow you to have the work you need done for a price that you can afford.
Choosing a Surgeon for Your Forehead Shaving Surgery
The brow bone reduction surgery will have a significant impact on your appearance. Once you decide that this is the facial feminization surgery that you want to have performed in order to achieve a softer, more feminine look, then the next step is to find the right surgeon to perform the procedure.
In order to find the right surgeon, you should set up consultation appointments with several cosmetic surgeons in your region. This is what you need to cover during the consultation appointment:
- Talk with the surgeon about their experience — not only with cosmetic surgery in general, but specifically with facial feminization procedures. It is critical that you work with a surgeon who is experienced with this particular surgery and who has worked extensively with transgender patients who are transitioning. You need to partner with a surgeon who has the precise surgical skills that you need as well as the empathetic and understanding approach that you deserve.
- Ask to see before and after photos of previous surgeries that the surgeon has completed. The gallery should include photographs of patients who have had the forehead contouring surgery performed by that surgeon.
- Ask questions — and lots of them. The surgeon that you choose should be willing to answer all of your questions about this procedure, about their specific approach and about the results that you will receive. The right surgeon will open, honest, patient and transparent.
Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg is considered to be the top plastic surgeon in Atlanta. Not only is he double board certified, but he's also Mayo Clinic-trained. With more than 19 years of experience performing gender affirmation surgery, he is uniquely qualified to work with patients who are in the midst of transitioning. He understands the important role that gender affirming surgeries play in an individual's ability to live an authentic and confident life. For more than 30 years, Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg has been helping all types of patients achieve their facial and body plastic surgery goals.
For more information about the forehead contouring surgery and to find out if you are a good candidate for this procedure, schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg today.
Preparing for Surgery
In the weeks leading up to your surgery, it is important that you prepare yourself both physically and emotionally for the procedure. These are some steps that you should take:
- Talk with your surgeon about taking HRT prior to your surgery. Depending on the procedure, you may need to stop some medications several days leading up to the surgery. Your physician and your surgeon can provide you with specific instructions regarding HRT.
- Consult with your doctor about any medications that you are taking to determine if you can continue taking them prior to the procedure.
- Avoid smoking and do not drink excessively in the weeks leading up to the procedure. Your body should be in good physical and emotional health for the surgery.
- You may be required to fast prior to the procedure due to the use of anesthesia. Your surgeon will tell you when you need to stop eating and drinking before the surgery.
About the Procedure
Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg begins the forehead contouring procedure by making a discrete incision near the hairline. Then, he works to shape the brow bone, in order to reduce its prominence and soften the individual's facial features. The type and amount of sculpting that is performed depends heavily on the patient's natural features and their goals for the surgery.
In addition, the rim bones around the eye sockets are sometimes removed and reshaped in order to achieve the desired results. Finally, specialized bone paste may be used in order to smooth out the patient's new appearance and create the best possible look for them.
Recovery After Surgery for Forehead Contouring
The forehead contouring procedure is a major surgical procedure, and patients should be prepared to endure a recovery that may last for between 2 and 4 weeks. The exact length of the recovery process will depend on the amount of work that was performed and the number of FFS procedures that were completed at once.
While the forehead contouring surgery is an outpatient procedure, due to the nature of the surgery, there is the potential for an overnight stay. You should discuss this possibility with your surgeon in advance and prepare accordingly.
In most cases, you will be able to resume your normal daily activities within 4 to 6 weeks. However, you may find that you experience forehead numbness for up to a year while your body heals.
What Our Patients Are Saying
"I simply love Dr.Lincenberg. I am extremely pleased and grateful to have had him as my doctor. He is very kind and caring. He is very experienced in his field and is very uptodate in his field. He planned a reconstruction procedure for me with utmost precision. He wanted to do the least possible surgery for me with the best outcome. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of my surgery. I had visited two other plastic surgeons before and they had proposed different procedures for the reconstruction but Dr. Lincenberg's procedure was the least invasive, less recovery time in spite of my prior complications. I think its because he is very good about planning the procedures, individualizing the procedures and his experience of many years added to his passion to do the best for his patients. I am a physician myself and it was very difficult for me to be a patient. But him and his staff made the journey very easy for me. I would receive phone calls before the weekends to have me come in because Dr. Lincenberg wanted to make sure I was healing well. And his staff is extremely loving and caring as well. I loved Kerrie, Vera, Kendra, Julie, everyone at his office. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone that needs a plastic surgeon. He is THE BEST!!!" -B N